Job Title: Library Clerk
Location: Brookville Branch
Schedule: Includes daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
Under indirect supervision, this position requires contact with the public and the performance of a variety of functions including, but not limited to, circulation, cardholder registration, placing holds on circulating items, assisting patrons in finding specific materials, helping patrons with technology issues, and other forms of one-on-one patron assistance. This position may also be required to perform other clerical duties including, but not limited to packing and unpacking materials, recording and verifying deliveries, processing mail, and data entry. Basic housecleaning duties and dusting are also daily tasks. This position is required to shelve library materials as needed. This position may assist with technical functions as requested as well as with public programs.
- Projects a positive and pleasant attitude to the public and cooperates and maintains an effective relationship with other staff members as part of a team
- Serves patrons in a courteous and business-like manner
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing
- Works efficiently and accurately with library computer systems
- Sorts and reshelves library materials (often requiring reaching above shoulder height and below the waist, as well as the ability to lift up to 30 lbs. and push or pull fully-loaded—50-100 pounds—book trucks)
- Responsible for properly performing opening and closing procedures
- Performs circulation duties and answers basic informational questions (may need to sit or stand for extended periods)
- Assists patrons with library equipment and related software (i.e. copy machines, fax machines, scanners, laminators, gaming systems, projectors, and sound systems)
- Responsible for collecting and accurately documenting related usage fees and fines ( i.e. copier, fax, overdue materials, book sales, etc.)
- Assists in processing books for circulation (requires manual dexterity)
- May inform (and enroll) patrons about reading programs, book discussion groups, and any other library-sponsored programs
- May perform inter-library loan duties as well as process incoming reserves and holds
- General clerical duties: answer telephone, route messages, word processing, and filing
- May clean and repair library material as needed
- Performs repetitive tasks with speed and accuracy
- Must be able to coordinate multiple responsibilities simultaneously and meet firm deadlines
- Performs related work as requested by the Director and other full-time staff
- Adheres to library policies and procedures
A high school diploma or GED
Computer experience in PC hardware and software
Library automation systems experience preferred, but not required
Please complete the linked application. Three references are required. Send completed application to the Brookville Public Library, 919 Main Street, Brookville, IN or email it to susan (at) fclibraries.org.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
This job description is not a contract between the Library and the employee. The Franklin County Public Library District is an at-will employer. The job description duties may be changed at the discretion of the Library and/or the Library may request the employee to perform duties that are not listed on the job description.
The Franklin County Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer.