Customer Use & Internet Access
The Franklin County Public Library District’s (FCPLD) computers and information technology are available to the public, but with certain restrictions. Use of the library’s computers is a privilege, not a right. Misuse of the library hardware and/or software may result in loss of library privileges and/or legal action.
- Users shall make only authorized access to the systems.
- Children under 4th grade are not permitted on the Internet at the library unless a parent or legal guardian is present.
- Users under age 17 must have a parent or guardian sign, this contract in the presence of a staff member.
- Downloading or saving to the library’s equipment is prohibited.
- Time limit is 1 hour for the Internet, word processing and other research purposes. Time limit is 30 minutes for children’s activities and games located in the children’s library. Exceptions are made on a case by case basis.
- Users may reserve up to one hour of computer time per day for adult computers, 30 minutes for children’s computers. Consecutive blocks of time may not be reserved. Reservations are held for 5 minutes past appointed time, at which time the computer will be made available to others. If taking on-line classes, please call ahead and reserve a computer.
The library permits web-based email on adult computers. Users are not permitted to set up e-mail accounts on the library’s server. The library staff will assist with setting up email accounts if time permits.
The Franklin County Public Library District has added wireless local area network points to allow patrons the opportunity to connect to the Internet using their own equipment at both libraries. Any use of the library district’s networks (wired or wireless) must be in accordance with the library district’s acceptable use policy. Any activities deemed illegal apply to patrons whether using their own computer or a library-owned computer. Because of the vast array of wireless equipment on the market, library staff will not be able to answer technical questions about your specific computer configuration. The library district cannot guarantee that your equipment will work with the library’s network and is not responsible for any changes you make to your computer’s settings. We recommend your laptop have the latest operating system service packs and antivirus software before connecting to the Internet. Electronic communication, including web browsing, is not completely private or secure. The library district is not responsible for any direct, indirect, or consequential damages related to the use of information accessed through the library district’s Internet service. The library district will not be responsible for laptops or other devices left unattended. Laptop computer users are expected to be considerate of patrons nearby and are expected to use headphones when playing movies and music.
The Franklin County Public Library District must be in compliance with Federal Regulations and CIPA (Children’s Internet Protection Act). A copy of the CIPA Act is available upon request. Due to the openness of the library computers the library will not tolerate displaying of obscene or illegal information. This includes, but is not limited to pornographic, violent or profane sites. The following practices are contrary to library purposes and disrupt and interfere with the use of library facilities and equipment and are prohibited.
- Unsolicited Advertising
- Usenet Groups
- Activities Designed for Profit
- All chat rooms (All users need to be aware of the potential dangers of chat rooms.)
- Chain letters (composing, transmitting, or printing.)
Any other activity intended to damage or impair computer hardware/software.
Improper conduct will be handled in the following manner.
1st offense…..warning and suspension of computer privileges for 1 month.
2nd offense…..computer privileges permanently revoked.
Note: Users who are knowingly or maliciously transmitting viruses will permanently lose privileges with NO WARNING and will be reported to the proper authorities.
Printouts from the library’s computers are .10 cents per page for black and white, $1.00 per page for color. The user is responsible for paying for all printouts. Many documents found on the Internet are lengthy and could result in several pages of printouts. Check with desk attendant if you are questioning how many pages may print out before hitting the print button.
The Internet changes every day as new sites are added or deleted. The Library District is not responsible for any information located on the Internet.
The Library District disclaims any warranty as to the Internet’s information accuracy, authoritativeness, timeliness, usefulness, or fitness for a particular purpose.
The Library District will assume no liability for the loss or damage of user’s data or disks incurred in the use of the library equipment or resources. The library will also not be liable for any damage or injury resulting from the use of computer resources, including damage or injury resulting from invasion of user’s privacy.